Stranger Than Fiction


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




















Director: Marc Forster
Cast: Will Ferrell, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Dustin Hoffman, Queen Latifah, Emma Thompson
RunTime: 113 mins
Genre: Comedy
Rating: PG

I am glad start the year with a movie which was both sweet and warm. The last time I tear and laughed at the same movie was a long time ago, and would least expect it from a comedy starring Will Ferrell.

He was irksome in Bewitched, irritating in The Producers and forgettable in Talladega Nights. I take my words back after Stranger than Fiction. Facing initial inhibitions of wasting my $9.50 (yes, I paid for this movie), I was persuaded a Today reviewer who told me this movie was very touching.

Ferrell plays a boring IRS auditor Harold Crick, who suddenly finds himself the subject of narration only he can hear: narration that begins to affect his entire life, from his work, to his love-interest, to his death. Emma Thompson is wonderful (again) as the chain-smoking narrator which reads out as every line with an impeccable delightful accent. Maggie Gyllenhaal, Dustin Hoffman and Queen Latifah were also refreshing as the supporting cast.

Stranger Than Fiction may not be your typical 4-star movie as it is lightweight and lacks the cinematic qualities (can watch on DVD). The story is ironic and original and screenplay worthy of many quotable quotes. It leaves one much thought provoking, especially if you are one like Harold Crick walking in and out of life without thinking about it.


At the end of the movie, you may ask yourself, "What good do you want to do?"

Stranger Than Friction – Like reading a good book


0 Responses to “Stranger Than Fiction”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links