The Great Raid


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



















I have always been a fan of war genres like Saving Private Ryan, Pearl Harbour and the recent Longest Engagement. Based on a true story of a rescue mission of US POWs in the Philippines held captive for more than 3 years, I thought this was a must-watch after seeing the thrillers.

A war genre. Credible actors who include Benjamin Bratt, James Franco and Joseph Fiennes. Historical inspirations. Celebration of the human spirit. So what was missing?

A lack of marketing? Straight-in-your-face story telling by director John Dahl? Or the fact the war movies are overdone? Especially when it is not an 'epic' of special effects.

For me, it was the emotions part. Scenes which could have drove tears. The love between the strong Connie Nielson and languished Joseph Fiennes was overly subtle. Torture scenes were 'seen-befores'.

The movie did come alive during the rescue mission. Was it too late? To me, it was enough. Should be inspiring but lacks the commercial appeal.

The Great Raid – Not great, but good enough.


2 Responses to “The Great Raid”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Mike Rundle and Richard MacManus put a smile on my face ...
    I was chatting with David Daniels today about AJAX and Web 2.0 and how I'm hoping to take a closer look at the emerging landscape just moments before I browsed Mike Rundle's assessment of current Web 2.0 ...
    Find out how you can buy and sell anything, like things related to private road construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like private road construction!

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Cueshe denies 'ripping off' Australian song
    "So if youa d still go, Ia ll understand, Would you give me something just to hold on to? And if youa ll stay, Ia ll hold your hand, Cause Ia m truly, madly, crazily in love with you." These are the popular ...
    Hi you've got a great blog here, the best I've seen so far for Unsecured loans related. Keep up the good job! I found a similar Unsecured loans related website yesterday, check it out. Looks like the
    Unsecured loans related site does not have a blog yet, so check them out at their company site.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links